Sales is suffering from 9 brutal ills:
- The Bro Culture
- Lack of Coaching
- Too Product-Centric and Not Problem Centric
- Not enough salespeople understand the game/rules of sales
- Too much reliance on selling tools.
- Not enough training in the industry/space
- Too much activity management
- Little respect for prospects and buyers time
- Not enough humility
There’s a little secret to selling that I’d like to share with you. It’s pretty simple yet far too many salespeople don’t do it and it costs them quota, presidents club and more.
We have a tendency to be product-centric. We lean too heavily on our product, product features, and product benefits. We get excited and when given the chance we start sharing all the wonderful things our product does, and how it’s the greatest thing ever.
The problem with this is, it creates the black hole we all dread. You know what I mean. That black hole where you’ve finished your PITCH and now that the client has all the product information, they tell you they’ll get back to you and get stuck sitting and waiting.
To keep this from happening, do this instead.
Stop sending your product knowledge and information to your buyer, before you get the problem knowledge. It’s a game-changer.